This position is a Generalist - Leadership role (Must Have Certification in AMT or ASCP or willing to obtain certification within 1 year of hire date.
Certification Requirement. Must Be in the Following area's: CHEMISTRY, HEMATOLOGY, BLOOD BANK, URINALYSIS, COAGULATION. Must be willing to provide proof of certification.
Performs waived, moderate and some high complexity assays on various specimens as requested by physicians. Analyzes and correlates results for patient population and verifies results. Performs related duties as requested by supervisory personnel. Performs job duties in accordance with tenets of laboratory mission and goals.
1. Must have overall knowledge of lab policies and procedures. Must know where to find specific answers to customer's questions.
2. Performs and documents equipment checks and routine maintenance according to procedure manual.
3. Performance and documentation of quality control material as required in procedure manual.
4. Must recognize instrument malfunction alert supervisor of such problems and perform appropriate repairs as trained.
5. Must have comprehensive working knowledge of all procedures performed in assigned area. Must perform work in an efficient and accurate manner according to written procedures and training.
6. Responds to needs of laboratory by assisting others voluntarily or at supervisor's request. May include department rotation or shift change.
7. Every third weekend rotation required as meets the department needs, including holiday rotation as assigned.
8. Daily checks on all reagents and supplies to ensure uninterrupted service.
9. Collects specimens from patients by venipuncture, finger/heel sticks or arterial punctures required. Collects throat cultures and instructs customers on other collection procedures.
10. Knows age related normal values for tests performed in assigned area.
11. After competency training, should be able to perform more than one task at a time.
12. Adheres to confidentiality of information as stated in DeKalb Medical Center's Confidentiality Agreement policy #5517.
Should have successfully completed a certifying examination approved by the Georgia Department of Human Resources or should be ASCP registry eligible as a medical technologist, and should meet one of the requirements listed below:
1. Bachelor's degree in medical technology from an accredited college or university.
2. Or, successful completion in an accredited college or university of a course of study which meets all academic requirements for a bachelor's degree in one of the chemical, physical
or biological sciences, and at least one (1) year of pertinent laboratory experience or training accepted by the Georgia Department of Human Resources.
3. May be qualified as HEW MT or HHS MT.