Certified Medical Assistant / Front Office Assistant
Decatur, GA Full time - Day shift - Monday - Friday
Due to growth, DeKalb Medical Physicians Group is seeking a certified Medical Assistant to work mainly the front office by checking in patients, insurance verifications, collecting money.
If need, provide coverage in the back office providing direct patient care with providers . Always provide superior customer service. NextGen a plus!
MEDICAL ASSISTANT/FRONT OFFICE ASSISTANT JOB SUMMARY:
The Medical Assistant performs a variety of medically related tasks by assisting the doctor or nurse in providing direct patient care. Responsible for assisting patients in basic orientation to the facility, preparing exam room, taking patient's vital signs and assisting physician with exam. Administers injections and performs basic phlebotomy when required. Certified is preferred through an accredited program. Must have reliable transportation and the ability to work at all DeKalb Medical Physicians Group Clinics located throughout the Atlanta Area.
Provides patient care, treatment, and services within the scope of their license, certification, registration, and/or assessed competencies. Practice will be in accordance with laws and regulations and will adhere to established policies, procedures and practice guidelines.
MA/FOA: JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Greets patients and visitors in a prompt, courteous and professional manner.
2. Maintains accurate patient information in all charts and the computer system by updating patient demographic information.
3. Coordinates referrals, including STAT referrals (if applicable).
4. Efficiently answers phones and takes accurate, detailed and timely messages.
5. Collects copays, deductibles and other out-of-pocket amounts at time of visit. Issue receipts as appropriate.
6. Notifies clinical area of any patient call informing the practice of a delay in their arrival.
7. Verifies insurance eligibility and benefits and coordinates insurance authorizations.
8. Places appointment reminder calls.
9. Orders and maintains office supplies as directed by Manager
10. Scans and files various paperwork and reports.
11. Participates in continuous quality improvement activities and teams.
12. Responsible for maintaining scheduling reports, cash logs, up front collection reconcilliation.
13. Provides care to site specific patient age groups.
14. Assists provider with clinical duties including examination preparation, documentation, obtaining vital signs, injections, venipuncture, lab tests, EKG’s, x-rays (as applicable) and other necessary tests and procedures as instructed.
15. Document properly in EHR required data elements related to patient safety including injection documentation (lot number, expiration date)
16. Assists with other back office duties such as scanning, filing, prescription refills, delivery of specimens, patient referrals, pre-authorizations and stocking exam rooms.
17. Communicates with the patient as directed by the provider.
18. Assists with procedures including, but not limited to, instrument set-up, patient set-up, instrument sterilization and patient assistance.
19. Required to travel throughout the Atlanta area.
20. Participates in continuous quality improvement teams and activities.
21. Participates in supporting the organization’s vision, mission and values and adheres to DeKalb Medical Standards of Behavior
22. Performs other duties as assigned to meet the goals and objectives of DeKalb Medical.
Minimum Education, Experience and Licensure Required:
• High School Diploma
• Successful completion of a Medical Assistant Program, equivalent training or experience is required.
• CPR/BLS certification required.
• Minimum of one year medical assistant experience as well as pediatric experience preferred.
• MA Certification preferred
MA/FOA Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
• Excellent interpersonal / customer service skills and the ability to work with a wide variety of people
• Strong organization and attention to detail
• Must be proficient in the use and application of personal computers and word processing software programs
• Demonstrates tact, versatility and dependability
• Positive attitude and demeanor
• Effective team member
• Performs skills and competencies as defined in orientation checklist and annual departmental competency checklist if applicable
• Demonstrates and maintains competencies specific to patient population served
MA/FOA REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS:
Reports to: Supervisor or Manager
Positions Supervised: None
MA: REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS:
Reports to: Minimum to maximum from the Front Office Coordinator / Back Office Coordinator, the Manager and the Provider
Positions Supervised: None