Under the supervision of the Cash Applications Supervisor, the Cash Posting Specialist Team Lead will be responsible for validating the processing of all 835 electronic payment files, assure the completion of all batch rejection reports, validate the completion of all Lock Box posting, and finalize the cash reconciliation reports.
Assist the supervisor in training of staff, special projects, implement new processes and procedures. Update
Cash Posters on any changes in uploads of files and adjustment changes. Process refunds
1. Processes and validates the completion of all electronic 835 payment files daily. Work batch error reports and apply payments to correct accounts.
2. Monitor and balances the daily batches. Ensure that all batches are correct and without issue
3. Log and maintains a daily cash control log of all payments received.
4. Validate and post all batches of payments received in the daily Lock Box deposit to patient accounts against the bank total.
5. Posts contractual allowances from remittances when the allowance doesn’t auto download to the patient’s account.
6. Refers remittances to the PAR when discrepancies are reflected in the amount indicated on the remit, in the expected reimbursement with financial systems, or in the amount posted on the account.
7. Monitors, reviews, and maintains the ‘unapplied’ payments and credit balance to reflect less than 30 days while determining if payments should be refunded to the sender or adjusted appropriately.
8. Review and obtain EOB/ERAs from web portal sites in order to enhance collections and promote payments are posted in a timely fashion.
9. Educate, identify, and correct posting errors on patient accounts with staff.
10. Prepare, research and process refunds to A/P (special projects)
11. Participates in continuous quality improvement activities and teams.
12. Lead team huddles in absence of the Cash Posting Supervisor
13. Ability to review and teach about batches that cause credit issues and how to resolve these issues.
14. Ability to determine if a claim has been processed correctly and if not forward to the appropriate department for review.
15. Back up supervisor in their absence to handle any issues with bank deposits, or upload of files, or staff issues
16. Assist supervisor in maintaining file updates, trainings, updates to payors to support cash posting, and working with IT to ensure that adjustment codes are correct and that staff are updated on any changes
17. Participates in supporting the organization’s vision, mission and values and adheres to DeKalb Medical Standards of Behavior.
18. Performs other duties as assigned to meet the goals and objectives of DeKalb Medical.
Minimum Education, Experience and Licensure Required:
• High School graduate.
• At least 3-4 years’ experience in a related position working with cash posting, reconciliation, EOBs/ERAs, reason codes and remark codes within a Centralized Business Office or Physician Billing/Collections environment.
• Knowledge of computerized patient billing and operating system.
• Working knowledge of standard CPT and ICD-10 coding and Fee schedules
• Certified Patient Account Representative (CPAR) preferred but not required.
• Working knowledge of payor web portal sites and proficient with EBO’s/ ERA’s.
• Working experience with medical terminology and Human Anatomy
• Proficient in denial and adjustment codes
• Working knowledge of third-party insurance in regards to plan types: HMO, PPO, POS and Indemnity
• Ten-key calculator and computer experience required.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office.