The Physical Therapist is responsible for appropriately managing the therapeutic needs of patients with functional disorders and loss, including gross motor balance/coordination, orthopedic, and neurological dysfunctions through independent utilization of judgment skills and critical decision-making. Provides preventive, rehabilitative, adaptive and palliative care to both inpatients and outpatients.
Provides patient care, treatment, and services within the scope of their license, certification, registration, and/or assessed competencies. Practice will be in accordance with laws and regulations and will adhere to established policies, procedures and practice guidelines.
- Conducts patient evaluation and assessment through the collection of comprehensive data necessary to evaluate patient needs accurately.
- Develops and implements individualized treatment plan of care for patients.
- Formulates realistic short term and long term treatment goals in conjunction with the patient/family. Establishes time frames for goal achievement.
- Counsels and educates patients/family members about gross motor function/mobility, developmental delays, neurological dysfunction and/or non-pharmacological pain management and the psychological and social effects.
- Monitors patient progress and revises treatment plans as needed.
- Recommends and oversees fit of lower extremity orthotic and prosthetic devices.
- Collaborates with nursing staff and other members of the health care team regarding each patient.
- Maintains appropriate documentation on the patient medical record, all Physical Therapy treatments, assessments, interpretations and evaluations performed for the inpatient and outpatient populations.
- Arranges referral of patients for additional services, consulting with attending physician as appropriate.
- Responsible for orienting new employees and ensuring competency of individuals under the Physical Therapist supervision to provide delivery of care.
- Facilitates meeting of Rehab Results Group and DeKalb Medical Center objectives through maintenance of professional standards, competency, and participation in appropriate work groups.
- Maintains patient safety by providing appropriate level of supervision.
- Participates in continuous quality improvement teams and activities.
- Participates in supporting the organization’s vision, mission and values and adheres to DeKalb Medical Standards of Behavior.
- Performs other duties as assigned to meet the goals and objectives of DeKalb Medical.
Minimum Education, Experience and Licensure Required:
- Bachelors degree from and accredited school in Physical Therapy required
- Masters degree from an accredited school in Physical Therapy preferred
- Licensed in the state of Georgia in Physical Therapy.
- Membership and participation in the American Physical Therapy Association and Georgia Physical Therapy Association preferred
- Certification required?
- Years of experience? Hospital setting experience? Required or preferred?
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to work with a multidisciplinary team in rehabilitation and a diverse, professional staff within the hospital.
- Must possess proven skills in communication, organization, flexibility, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to coordinate simultaneous activities without affecting the quality of work.
- Demonstrates knowledge and proficiency of all applicable evaluation tools
- Demonstrates an ability to be flexible, organized and function well under stressful situations.
- Demonstrates an awareness of the overall operation of the facility in relation to total patient care.
- Knowledge of scientific research and ability to undertake research related to scope of department.
- High degree of self motivation and directional initiative.
- Excellent customer service skills and strong drive to provide compassionate care.
- Critical thinking skills, decisive judgment and the ability to work with minimal supervision in a fast paced environment.
- Strong communication skills with ability to effectively communicate technical information to patients and families.
- Ability to function effectively in a team environment.
- Basic computer skills
- Performs skills and competencies as defined in orientation checklist and annual departmental competency checklist if applicable.
- Demonstrates and maintains competencies specific to patient population served.
Reports to: Program Supervisor and Rehab Manager
Positions Supervised: Rehab Aides, Rehab Services Transporters