The Histology Technician works with fresh and fixed tissue samples in order to process a diagnostic preparation for Pathologists' interpretation.
Provides patient care, treatment, and services within the scope of their license, certification, registration, and/or assessed competencies. Practice will be in accordance with laws and regulations and will adhere to established policies, procedures and practice guidelines.
- Checks on all reagents and supplies daily to ensure uninterrupted service. Communicates to appropriate personnel for reordering and restocking as needed.
- Assists Pathologists with frozen sections. Cuts and stains sections in timely manner.
- Organizes necessary paperwork.
- Assists Pathologists in grossing specimens.
- Prepares and labels cassettes, organizes tissues in order of priority in fixation rack.
- Embeds fixed specimens in paraffin in correct orientation and in a timely manner.
- Cuts and stains high quality thin tissue sections.
- Ensures that finished slides are mounted, properly labeled and organized with protocols for examination by Pathologist.
- Prepares solutions and reagents in accordance with standard protocols.
- Prepares tray and fixative solutions for fine needle aspirates. Stains slides upon receipt.
- Sets up cytology smears and stains according to procedure. Prepares slides and paperwork for send out to cytology lab. Performs special stains and immunohistochemical stains in rotation through Immunoperoxidase area.
- Prepares specimens for Flow Cytometry, DNA, lymph node studies, hormone receptor slides, according to procedure.
- Performs computer functions as necessary for proper Histology and Accessioning processing, reporting and charging.
- Performs and documents equipment checks and routine maintenance according to procedure manual.
- Adheres to confidentiality of information requirements as specified by DMC Confidentiality Agreement.
- Participates in continuous quality improvement teams and activities.
- Participates in supporting the organization’s vision, mission and values and adheres to DeKalb Medical Standards of Behavior.
- Performs other duties as assigned to meet the goals and objectives of DeKalb Medical.
Minimum Education, Experience and Licensure Required:
- Must be a graduate of an approved school of histological technique.
- Must be ASCP registered or registry eligible.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Must have overall knowledge of lab policies and procedures.
- Must know where to find specific answers to customer's questions.
- Must have comprehensive working knowledge of all procedures performed in assigned area.
- Performs skills and competencies as defined in orientation checklist and annual departmental competency checklist if applicable.
- Demonstrates and maintains competencies specific to patient population served.
Reports to: Histology Supervisor, Pathology Manager and Pathologists
Positions Supervised: None